The areas that are commonly treated with liposuction remain different between men and women. While women most often want to remove fat from their thighs and hips, men commonly focus on the stomach area, such as love handles.
Men’s Liposuction for Love Handles
Love handles are an issue for many men. This type of fat is often resistant to both diet and exercise, and it can be frustrating for those that exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet. Such areas of unwanted, diet and exercise resistant fat are a common concern for many cosmetic patients. Whether it is in the form of persistent stomach pooch or bulges along the flanks and back, love handles can be difficult to get rid of permanently.
Fat stored in this area is commonly due to one or more reasons, including age, hormonal changes or genetic predisposition. Since we cannot change any of these things, men’s liposuction provides an effective solution to remove love handles.
Who is a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
For certain individuals, exercise and diet is not enough to get rid of pockets of stubborn fat. A good candidate for men’s liposuction has:
- A minimal amount of excess skin and good skin elasticity. Loss of skin elasticity can compromise liposuction results.
- Localized deposits of fat in your abdomen, arms, thighs and/or neck.
- Physically fit, no more than 20-pounds overweight. If you are planning to lose or gain a significant amount of weight, this is not the time to undergo liposuction.
Liposuction is not recommended for patients with cellulite or those who are overweight. Those with cellulite are not good candidates for liposuction because they may develop skin irregularities in the treatment area.
How Does Men’s Liposuction Work?
Liposuction procedures may require local or regional anesthesia. Other procedures might require general anesthesia, which induces a temporary unconsciousness. During this time, the surgical team will monitor your heart rate, blood pressure and blood oxygen level throughout the procedure.
The procedure process is as follows:
- The surgical team prepares the areas of your body that will treated, and local or general anesthesia will be induced.
- Through a small incision, a suction tube is inserted into the fat pockets to remove fat in treatment areas.
- Removed fat is vacuumed away through the suction tube, and several skin punctures may be needed to treat large areas.
- After the fat is removed, small drainage tubes may be inserted into the treatment area to remove blood and fluid that collects during the first few days after surgery.
- A compression garment will be placed on you, and used as an essential part of recovery.
The procedure may last up to several hours, depending on the area(s) of fat removal. If general anesthesia was administered, you will wake up in a recovery room. You’ll typically spend a few hours in the clinic to monitor your recovery.
Recovery and Keeping the Weight Off
To reduce risks and recovery time, and maintain the results of liposuction, simple steps and lifestyle changes before and after the procedure can be proactively made.
After your procedure, post-operative instructions will be provided. Wear compression garment regularly to help reduce swelling. It will work to compress the skin as it re-adjusts after the liposuction procedure. It is important to wear compression garments regularly as the skin tissue need to be supported and sculpted for proper re-shaping to occur.
Post-op, you will likely experience swelling, bruising, numbness, and pain, but these symptoms can be managed with medication. Stitches will be removed within 5 to 10 days, and antibiotics may be prescribed to prevent infection. After your procedures, walk regularly to help prevent blood clots from forming in your legs. Avoid strenuous activity for about 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery, and may return to work within a few days of the surgery. Bruising and swelling usually resolve within a few weeks.
Schedule a Consultation
Although there are some great advantages to liposuction, it is important to consult an informed and experienced plastic surgeon when making this decision. There are plenty of cosmetic procedures to reduce unwanted fat, and this can be overwhelming. Dr. Vishal Kapoor and his expert team will discuss and review your treatment options to find the perfect fit for you and your desired results. Schedules a consultation with us today, and join our many satisfied patients.